First SLOG

     I have been taking the csc104 course for a month and everything went on very well. I chose this course in the first place because I wanted to learn more about computers since technology has been emphasized a lot in today’s society. First of all, as a business student, I wanted to understand more of the language used in computers so I can communicate better as I go into the workforce. Secondly, I’m personally interested in the logic behind programs and I believe it would be very helpful for me to use it as a tool to solve my everyday life problems.
     Before I took this course I thought programming would be very difficult and abstract. I imagined it would be like in the movie the Matrix where the codes would be long and organized using really hard rules. I expected it to be dull and boring. However, after learning the language Racket, I find that the language computers use is actually relevant to our daily life. We use words like flip-horizontally and plus signs to apply the same operation on the computer as we do in real life. So in this case, I find programming to be actually more relevant to us than what I first expected it to be.
     I find it interesting for what we can achieve by using simple words. The most fun part is the operations we could do with images. Normally when we can edit photos using apps on our cell phones. But in this course, by using Dr. Racket we can also easily play with the images. In addition, I think it’s very interesting when we can draw images and create them in the way we want.
     So far, I find the hardest part of this course is adapting to the logic of programming. I think learning how to do programming is like the process of learning a new language through a mathematic perspective, which makes it harder. For example, I need to understand what every function's operation is. This is like learning the definition of words.  Then I have to do operations with it the same way I use formulas in math class. Personally,   I find the second part when learning to be harder. It was hard for me to get used to how to apply the applications. But it was still not as hard as I imagined it to be. I usually can understand better with the application after doing some problems on my own.
     There are quizzes every week for this course and I actually find it to be very helpful for my whole learning process. There are practices posted on our course website every week before the quiz and help hours before the quiz. For the past few weeks, I would do the question on my own on paper first. Then I would run the programs on Dr. Racket to check my answers. And whenever I have a hard time understanding, I would use the steps function and see how to get the answer in separate steps. After all of this effort, If I still couldn't understand I would go to the help hours and ask TA for help. So far, I have received my mark from my first quiz and I'm very satisfied. And I think I also did well in my second and third quiz. Therefore, I think my three-step review plan has worked out pretty well.
      I think it wouldn't be surprising to people that I'm interested in applications of financing programs used nowadays. It would be both interesting and helpful to learn how to make business people's life easier by using computer knowledge.
      In summary, I find csc104 to be a fun and useful course under a moderate difficulty that I can manage so far.

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Forth SLOG -- Advices for future fellow students

Third SLOG